Pages

8/5/14

Reading is my Drug

I'm reading a book that my friend Kristin told me about.
Today I came to a part that rang so true. I stopped reading. My throat clogged with mucous and tears streamed down my cheeks. I feel foolish because I'm at the pool, for heavens sake, with my kids, but I can't stop. It isn't happening to me but then it kind of is. I pull it together as my daughter begs me to swim again.

I have trouble connecting to my real life for a minute.  I'm in Alice's world these days...sort of.  Sort of one foot in and one foot out.

I become a part of these books that I read. I know I'm me but I am sort of not me at the same time.

It is this feeling that keeps me reading and makes me obsessed with giving others that feeling. I want my students to find this feeling. It is not about the book that moved me. So I'm not saying you should rush out and get What Alice Forgot [though I do think it was great]. I am saying that you need to read huge quantities of books in order to find the one that moves you. When this happens you begin to have a reading life because you know what you are looking for as you look for a book to read next. It is a drug. You start stacking up books next to your bed so that you will never be without a book.
This is my plan this year. I plan to ask kids to stack up the books they want to read and the ones that moved them. I want them to share that crazy wild painful thrilling short of breath feeling they get while they are reading.

Nothing else does that for us over and over again with only lasting good effects.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah-I see you have Marshfield Dreams in that pile. I hope you like it as much as I do! I get what you're saying about that feeling-Orphan Train did that to me, as well as the one I'm reading right now: The Dry Grass of August. I find myself not wanting these books to be over! A few others I'm reading right now: Crash Course by Kim Bearden, and I'm rereading A Place for Wonder (have you read it-it's speaking to what I'm trying to do this year) and I'm supposed to be reading: Integrating Differentiated Instruction and Understanding by Design for my class I teach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Earlier this summer, I posted on Facebook that I crave fiction. I want my kids to crave books like I do. I love following along on your journey, because you remind me of what I want to be better at.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your post! I read this book in the winter. And LOVED it. Like, could not put it down. I get so involved (or obsessed) that I can't put books down. I have to watch when I start books because I know that not much else will get done. I just bought a new one yesterday. Looking forward to starting it!
    Em
    Curious Firsties

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always know when I'm not "into" a book when I do not have that emotional connection to the characters. When I read chapter books to my kids-we invest so much time into getting to know those characters a chapter a day that when we finish sometimes it's hard for them to say good-bye. Weeks later they will say "I miss Charlotte". I am only just rediscovering reading for myself again but there are a handful of characters who already haunt me and who I still think about often. Oh and I had the opposite reading in public experience-I was laughing out loud at my book in the waiting room at the doctor's office. Couldn't believe the looks I was getting! :)

    ReplyDelete